The first step is to make a list of:
- Every position of responsibility (job) you have ever had, on or off-campus, paid or unpaid
- What you learned from each one in 5 words or less - think specifically
- What you did well to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
Key elements of a basic resume:
- Your contact information (top of the page, centered)
- Optional: objective *or* key skills
- Experience (paid or unpaid work, campus activities, etc.)
- Education (in reverse chronological order)
- References with contact information
- You are writing for a very specific audience.
- Be succinct.
- Proofread, proofread, then have someone else proofread. There can be no errors on the page.
- Everything on one page!
- Save as a PDF to avoid formatting issues for your reader.