Figures / Illustrations:
Your papers may require reference illustrations to help clarify points you are making in your thesis. Include these illustrations in the back matter (the sections that follow your written work). This is the first element of the back matter. It comes immediately after the text and before the endnotes and bibliography. You will also need to include a citation in your bibliography.
- Label the first page Illustrations, centered at the top and in capital letters.
- If you use more than one page, do not repeat the title.
- Do not use more than two figures per page, and make sure that each is accompanied by the appropriate caption (see Captions below).
- Be sure to use high resolution images.
- Captions for illustrations should read Fig. 1. OR Figure 1. and be numbered consecutively followed by a period (.) according to how they are referred to in the text (fig. 1, fig. 2, etc.). You will use lower case in the text and Uppercase in the caption.
- After the number give the artist’s name, the title (in italics), the year completed, medium, dimensions, and who owns the work and location. Include all available information, although you may not have all the information listed above.
Fig. 1. Michelangelo, David, 1501, marble, height approximately 14’, Galleria dell’Accademia, Florence.
- If you copied the figure from a published source, you must identify that source in the caption. Give the publication information in place of who owns the work.
From a Book:
Fig. 1. Michelangelo, David, 1501, marble, height approximately 14’, in Jane Doe, History of Michelangelo (New York: Sample Publishing, 1987). 242.
From a Website:
Fig. 1. Michelangelo, David, 1501, marble, height approximately 14’, Name of website, http://samplewebsite.org/mangelo/dav/id000123.htm (accessed 22 May, 2015).
From a Database:
Fig. 1. Michelangelo, David, 1501, marble, height approximately 14’, Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest, "Copy of Michelangelo's David statue," accessed 22 May 2015, http://quest.eb.com/search/167_3991760/1/167_3991760.