• Is your thesis a specific, debatable argument that can be supported with evidence?
• Does the thesis answer the essay question fully, and does it cover the main points of your essay?
• Does each body paragraph support your thesis?
• Are your ideas in the best logical order?
3) EACH BODY PARAGRAPH
• Does it have a topic sentence that supports the thesis?
• Does it have at least one quotation (at least two, one from each work, if the essay is comparing two different works)?
• Is there an in-text citation for each quotation and paraphrase?
• Is every quotation followed by a sentence explaining exactly how the quotation supports the topic sentence?
4) THESIS PARAGRAPH AND CONCLUSION
• Does your thesis paragraph move concisely from the general topic toward your thesis?
• Does your conclusion branch out from your thesis to make a connection, offer an opinion, or ask a question?
5) STYLE AND MECHANICS
• Print a hard copy and read your work aloud to help you slow down enough to catch errors of grammar and style.